Monday, September 14, 2020

Afifah Mazhar: Project 1 Surface Population


Concept:

My idea for this project came from looking at my birds and their toys. I was inspired by looking at the designs of their toys. For example, bird toys usually have holes so as to let the birds get a better grip of the item. While further looking at the designs, I realized most of the toys were fairly small (2-5 inches) so I wanted to make something larger that they could climb and play on. Some images of the toys that inspired me can be seen here. I wanted to make something donut shaped because I felt it would be safer (for example if the toy were to fall the birds could just move through the hole).



Process:

When creating this model I used Rhino and KeyShot (for rendering). During this process, I learned a lot about how to use Rhino. I am familiar with how to use SolidWorks so I assumed it would be like that. Although it was similar, I had a hard time at first finding how to do what I wanted (for example how to cut a cube). This made me realize I did not know the names of the processes I wanted to do. Due to this, I learned a lot terminology and realized how important it was to know. When creating this model, I used a torus and rebuilt it to have more points. I then adjusted different series of points up or down to create a waved appearance. I then used Grasshopper to populate the surface of the torus. Lastly I opened my model in KeyShot and rendered it.



(Updated Version Rendered in Rhino)



Materials:

In KeyShot I used a red metal. I used this material because I wanted to use something that would last a long time when being played with. Birds are able to (and enjoy to) chew through plastic and wood which is what most bird toys are made of. For this reason, I find myself buying my birds new toys every few months as they've destroyed their previous ones. Metal bird toys do exist but are much harder to come by, the few I have gotten have lasted significantly longer than their wood or plastic counterparts. For this reason I chose to make it out of metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment