Friday, September 11, 2020

Kenny Tentri: Project 1 Surface Population

Concept:
As a musician I always try to incorporate music somehow into my designs. I initially wanted to model a tenor saxophone, but it proved to be a little too difficult with my current experience. I've always been fascinated with guitars, because there's various types of there but they tend to share the same shape and design. I used this outline as the basis of my model, because it provided a shape that moves dynamically similar to music. I kept this surface relatively simple, because I wanted the population objects to be the main point of focus.


Technique:
I inserted a reference picture of a guitar into Rhino, where I could begin to construct a rough outline with the control point curve tool. I duplicated a cleaned up version of this curve, and used the loft command to create the actual surface to be populated. 

For the population object I experimented quite a bit before I settled on something I liked. I felt like many of the circular primitives looked too disconnected, and one box was too plain. Instead, I joined multiple boxes together and randomized their heights within Grasshopper. This introduced some more dynamic contrast throughout the piece, similar in concept to music like previously mentioned.


Materials:
Finally, I chose blocks within the sculpture at random to place on a separate layer. This allowed me to easily apply different textures as needed. Within the Rhino viewport I used the same matte plastic texture and just colored them differently. My main concern at that point was understanding what it might look like before importing into Keyshot. The weaving and interplay between the two textures reminded me of sculptures like this, so I decided to employ a mahogany wood and glass texture in Keyshot.


This project definitely taught me a lot about the Rhino workflow, and although the final product wasn't too complex in concept or execution I like how it turned out. 




No comments:

Post a Comment