Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Will Craven: Surface Population

 Yes, I know I'm incredibly late, but still better than never, I suppose. For this project, I had an idea in mind, but as I played around in Rhino and tried to get a grasp on what was what, I found myself really enjoying making spirals with the twist tool. I followed a quick tutorial and liked how one of the designs turned out, so I ran with it. The process behind this design was to create a sphere, delete the bottom half so it sits like a dome, twist it, and then create pipes out of the wireframe to give a 3D presence. For my population object, I went with a pyramid, and when applied to the top pipe, it looked to me like a jungle gym adorned in spikes. 


I thought the idea was interesting because of the juxtaposing concepts. A jungle gym is meant to be clamored on and climbed and conquered, but the presence of the spikes makes this virtually impossible. For my Rhino rendering, I went with a blood red plastic for the dome and silver metal for the spikes. The color concept just furthers the idea that this is a dangerous object, when in theory, it should be an object for children to play on. The structure is the size of an actual jungle gym--roughly 10 feet tall and 20 feet in diameter. It could be displayed as a sculpture, suggesting the idea that a child's innocence is inevitably doomed: at the top of the jungle gym lies only harsh edges and pain. 




No comments:

Post a Comment