Monday, September 14, 2020

Wesley McKnight: Surface Population Project

 

Concept: The concept I settled on for this project was Animal Crossing trees. My intention was to use the surface population technology to create the 'leaves' of this sculpture. I wanted to make sure that light would be able to pass through the outer portion of the tree and not through its center, like it would in a real tree. Furthermore, I made the population object taller on one end to give the composition a fluffier, more jagged  silhouette. 


Process: To make this composition, I started with 4 standard spheres. Then, to make the population object, I cut out the center of a cylinder and morphed it into a leaf-like shape. After that, I cut the top of the leaf-cylinder at an angle. Then, I used grasshopper to populate the spheres and adjusted the variables of the population. Once the spheres were populated, I deleted them, as to make the object hollow, leaving the population objects. I then arranged the spheres to give a tree-like shape. For the trunk of the tree, I just used a cylinder. (The height of the object is 35.17 cm, and the two widths are 35.17 cm and 32.59 cm, respectively.)


Materials: The material that I assigned to this object was metal. Ideally, it would be copper. I just think copper is a nice color to have for a desk knick-knack. Also, over time it would turn green like the Statue of Liberty, it'll take a while though. I used the copper material with 10mm holes from Keyshot. I used the material with holes to give the trunk a more interesting look.

EDIT: I updated my images and re-rendered my final image. 9/18




No comments:

Post a Comment