Monday, November 9, 2015

Sean Korzeniewski - Box Project Experiment V. 2

Simple enough right?

From the top!

From the side, vertically oriented!

Concept!

Although it may not be obvious at first glance my concept behind this box was to produce an easy to produce and functional instrument. The box acts as a percussion instrument belonging to the idiophone class. Striking the tongues on the top of the box with small rubber mallets will cause the wooden tongue to resonate with the rest of the box producing a louder version of the vibratory note you would hear from the tongue itself.

Method!

For this particular box I had some help *wink wink* with using rhino to easily cut out the specific shape I needed to create the floating tongues according to exact musical measurements. All I really used was the polyline, trim, and join tools to create this unique cut-out shape. This box only represents six notes on the scale, when I refine this particular design I'll be sure to use a 12 tongue template for more sonorous versatility.

Material!

For this particular box I used standard MDF because I was focused mainly on creating a functional design before applying said design to a more resonant (and costly) material such as padauk or mahogany. I'm also contemplating using acrylic to produce another box in order to analyze/mess around with different timbres as they pertain to different materials.

1 comment: