Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Daedra Evans Project 8 Geometric Unfolding


I began the geometric unfolding project by downloading the PDF file of  the shape that I wanted to practice with. I found I was drawn to the twisted octagonal prism shape. The shape reminded me of a beautiful pedestal to place something precious and important. The reference image shows the various types of prisms created in tin octagonal form. The image was obtained from: here .



The first step I took was to choose a model from the paper models database. Once I chose a model, I downloaded the PDF file from the database of polyhedral paper models found here: models. I then downloaded the Adobe Illustrator template provided to fit the laser cutter. In Illustrator,  I used the stroke color to determine the outer cut which is magenta, where the inner cut was blue. I then created dashed lines to indicate the folded areas of the paper shape. The image from Illustrator is included below showing the various strokes for cuts.



Once the design was printed, I folded the object to create the shape's final form. I included the pictures of the finalized result below! While I am not superb at folding, I did my best.



No comments:

Post a Comment