Monday, December 15, 2014

Ed Whetstone: Project 4, Modular Slots (Sharks and Minnows)

This post has all updates for Project 5, Modular Slots.

See all posts below the fold!




I'll admit, this was the most difficult project for me to create, conceptually.  I just couldn't find a way to make the individual pieces more interesting than just vague shapes.

Ultimately, the design conceit I ran with was playing the contrast between the positive space of a form, and the negative created by the drop-out pieces in the laser cutting process.

With that in mind, I decided on a sharks-and-minnows scheme, with seaweed as a mounting structure.



Once the basic shark shapes have been roughed in, I knocked out the slots and built the seaweed


Also, I made a pair of yin-yang sharks, by printing one each out of black and white acrylic.  This is a concept rendering of that idea.


It's slightly difficult to make out, but this is the final composition:





No comments:

Post a Comment