Sunday, December 14, 2014

Mary Effler: Polyhedra Project

I used to love making little paper craft toys as a kid, and for a while at work lately, my coworkers and I would print out a lot from http://www.papercraftmuseum.com/ and put them up around work. So this project was pretty fun for me to do. I started out with the low pentagrammic pyramid model: 

http://www.korthalsaltes.com/photo/pentagrammic-pyramid-03b.jpg
I had originally made some designs on it after moving it into Illustrator and prepping it for laser printing, but since the engraving layers and the like aren't being printed right now, those didnt make it to the final model:


I put together the printed form with Loctite, after using my little multitool knife to make some of the folds and perforations easier to fold:  

Since I didn't have the added in cut outs and the like, I was wondering how best to go about decorating it before Monday. As I mentioned in my drum model though, I really like the idea of art where other people are encouraged to pick it up and mess with it, rather than just observing it. So I took it to a coffee shop I frequent near my house, called Cafe Bohemia. The owner is an artist herself, and loves leaving various art supplies around for people to play with. They first took some spray paint to it, where we just left it for a day next to a bunch of paint and told people to go nuts. Then we left it next to a black sharpie, and 10 people decorated a side. Here's the finished result:



No comments:

Post a Comment