Monday, December 15, 2014

Sean Johnson: Week 12 Lamp


Of the five prototypes I made, I liked this gear shaped one the most. It had a good solid look to it and I liked the radial symmetry it had. Just in case you haven't noticed yet....I really like symmetry.As for what made me come up with the prototype in the first place, I was actually fixing my dad's watch for him and All the gears just looked really nice. I've always liked machinery with visible gears and pistons so I figured why not make a lamp that was a big 'ol gear?

The shape started out in Maya where I extruded some of the faces on a cylinder to make the outter form. Then I took that and brought it into Rhino and booleaned a hole through it. After that I used the pipe method we talked about in class to end up with the image above..


I picked a wood grain texture because once again I was going to be using hardboard for the final result. I actually would like to make my lamp out of actual wood but that isn't really an option right now so hardboard it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment