Saturday, December 13, 2014

Kristine Dickson: Week 11 Radial Waffle Lamp

The lamp I had in mind would be something that covered the top of a post, like on railing or a balustrade. I wanted it to be rounded on top and taper in a bit around the lower half.

Reference Photos:




When I was modeling it, I tried using the a lathe tool in 3ds Max to create the entire thing using splines, but I could not get the the shape that I wanted out of it. Instead, I ended up joining half a sphere to a cylinder and squeezing the middle of the cylinder in to give it the curvature I wanted. I then pulled the top part of the cylinder out a little bit so the hemisphere was nested in it.


Ghosted Images:





Keyshot Images:




In Keyshot, I chose to use the Mahogany wood texture, with a couple slices in 24k Gold. I liked how the light inside brightened the wood texture on the inside; it contrasted nicely with the dark wood texture around the outside. I chose the gold material for the middle ring and the top ring to mimic gold trimming if the model were solid and not a waffle structure. It also brought a little variety to the lamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment