Sunday, December 13, 2015

Brittany Jones: Laser Engrave - Achievement Awards

Concept
This semester I worked a very small part-time job (3.5 hours per week) as an Instructor for a local startup company called Tech EdVentures. I taught three classes: Tiny Tech, Robot Wizards, and a Girls Animation Lab. I had a total of 3 students in my Saturday classes and had the idea to give them achievement awards for completing the courses.

Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator Techniques
In Photoshop, I created a 4 x 6 inch canvas at 300 dpi resolution. Next I copied the Tech EdVentures logo into the file and created the text layers for the achievement awards to include the class name, semester, and students' names. After that I saved the document as a .png and opened it in Illustrator. I exported the selection as a .dxf, imported the .dxf file in Rhino, and prepared the file for laser engraving.

  


Materials
For the material, I used clear acrylic to emulate the laser etched glass awards. In the future, I plan to use vector graphics instead of using a rasterized image.


No comments:

Post a Comment