Friday, December 11, 2015

Robert Manriquez; Lamp (Tower)








 
 
Concept
 
The lamp project was a bit of a difficult one for me to approach. I didn't know if  I wanted to go for a really difficult approach or a simplistic one. I found the happy medium by building this cylindrical tower. Once I started to draw out the idea, I realized I was piecing together something very similar to Reunion Tower. Now, I didn't start with the Reunion Tower idea, it just kind of fell into place. I made the model and was happy with what I had come up with. However I did run into some issues with how symmetrical some of the pieces were. It made piecing the object together a bit of an issue due to my inability to tell some parts apart.
 
Modeling Technique
 
 The main portions being the cylinder and massive sphere were my complete base. I had those two objects unioned together and then I started adding smaller pieces to it in order to create a bit of asymmetry through the work. After I added all of my little notches and parts that were sticking out of the side, I build a lollipop type object and shot it right through the middle of the piece, vertically, to get my cut out for my light to shine through.
 
Materials
 
I used cardboard for the material because of the flexibility issue once again. I wasn't as confident in my piecing the objects together. However, if I were to reapproach this project I would use wood for sure. I feel the cardboard gives me the light shapes that I was looking for, however the wood would give me a much better base and make the structure stand without a fear of it collapsing to the side.


No comments:

Post a Comment