Friday, December 11, 2015

Robert Manriquez; Waffle (Opera House)





 









Concept

I was looking at auditoriums and opera houses and I started to think about building a massive seating area (cone shape) with a really massive housing(igloo shape) area for the stage and its performers. I was fighting with making the igloo open instead of it being a solid object due to my inexperience with piecing these objects together. I didn't know if I was going to have to break pieces in order to make them fit. I wanted to keep the structural integrity as much as I possibly could.

Modeling Techniques

I used a bunch of solid objects like cones and spheres. For the seating area, I used a pipe and cones in order to build the shapes. The Boolean union and differences became my best friends in order to piece this together. I made the heart igloo shape by take multiple spheres and sculpting their control points in order to create the round heart shaped body. When I was take the grooves out for the pieces to be able to combine, I messed up the top part of the object by missing a groove. The piece wouldn't fit due to my lack of attention to detail.

Use of Materials

I used cardboard for this assignment. I felt that it would give me the flexibility in case something didn't work in my planning stages. I felt it was successful because of this idea. Had I used wood, due to my odd cone shape, it would have been extremely difficult for me to piece this object together. I would have been unable to fit everything because I needed to bend some objects in order to make the cone fit. The wood would have been a bad choice due to it's inability to be flexible.

No comments:

Post a Comment