Thursday, December 10, 2015

SHADOW LAMP - Dong Lak (Derek) Han



I have been working on shadow lamps lately and while I was looking at the lamp, It eventually makes me think of windows. Windows lead us to different spaces, and I think that it is quite interesting to make lamp as if it is a window. 


The work starts with my sketch of the shape of thinking shadow and the design of a lamp. Then I found right light bulb; normally light bulbs make multiple shadows so I needed to find a one resource light bulb to make one shadow just like the sun. Next, I decide the size and what kind of light bulb I need to use because it will affect the lamp size and size of the object that makes the shadow.
After that, I used Rhino as a modeling tool, design the shadow object and the lamp. And then, made prototype model and assembly together. I remade the prototype model again and again until I satisfy with the result. Lastly, I made the actual lamp using a laser cutter.

Modeling in Rhino


How I get the lines to project shadow on the back wall of the lamp


For laser cutting for the lamp structure

For laser cutting for shadow panel and front cover (window)

For laser cutting for inside of the lamp

Laser cutting

About to kiss 01

About to kiss 02

Friday night 01

Friday night 02

Best Planet 01

Best Planet 02

window

Love

Here's link for the Shadow Lamp video 





No comments:

Post a Comment