Friday, December 11, 2015

Robert Manriquez; Pepakura (Hand)





Door frame for scale




 
Concept
We came up with the idea in class one day. I felt that this was my favorite project we did out of every project offered. The hand is my hand, and I built the object with my own hands. The chess piece was the alternative, however I am glad we decided to do this because the outcome was quite successful.

Modeling Technique
We started by taking molds of our hands. Once the mold was finished, I then took a 3D scan of the hand and cleaned up the geometry. After I cleaned the cuts and closed all the gaps, I had to choose between 300, 600, and 1k polys. I decided to go with all 3 and see which one would give me the cleanest work. In the end I chose the 300 poly count and set my model size to around 3 feet and a happy accident made it come out to around 6 feet. After I unrolled everything in Pepakura, I printed it and pieced it  together. The building took around 3-5 hours.

Material
I used white cardboard because it would allow me to work with the hand beyond the simple building of the structure. It would be easier to paint, should I choose to paint it. I was given the idea of adding white tape to the structure in order to get rid of the creases and cover up the numbers for the folds. Which will be my next step in prepping this for show.

No comments:

Post a Comment