Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Vincent Lo: Waffle Sculpture









Concept

Waffle sculptures in general remind me of cages, especially when hollowed out. Because of that reason, I came up with the idea of using a bird in a cage as the subject of this piece. My goal was to fit the sculpture type (waffle) with the subject matter.

Techniques

I modeled the cage and the bird stand directly as planes. The bird was a little more complex, so I modeled the bird and smoothed it within Maya. Once I brought the bird into Rhino, I scaled it appropriately and then used Contour to generate the curves. Afterwards, I used PlanarSrf to fill in those newly generated curves. And, of course, after all that I used Intersection and pipes to create the necessary cuts.

Materials

For my Keyshot render, I picked a wood material to loosely check out how the final result would be in cardboard. For the print, I used cardboard for financial reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment