Saturday, April 28, 2018

Brandon Wehenkel: Independent Study Update 4



To start this post with bad news, I did not finish this project.  I did everything I could to try to complete the modeling for printing.  I ran into a massive wall that I have been trying to fix since the moment I discovered it, which I mentioned as an edit shortly after I posted my last blog post  (4/2/18 12:08am.)  I accidentally saved over (stupid I know, I have a habbit of pressing ctrl+s) my working file when I was at school showing my work in a later version of Maya.  Because I work in Maya 2015 comfortably at home and the school has Maya 2017 I created a translation error in the geometry.


 .obj ascii/binary conversion error caused more than 300 holes.


Target weld tool, merge vertex for 60hrs


 The hand also had this issue as well but it was corrected in 2 days of work.

The entire month was just fixing these errors.  After I cleaned up a bulk of the border edges I started on making the key's for the sitting figure part (and I still have to do the standing legs.)  A part of the process was recorded in a 2hr video to show how pain staking the process has been. 

I was looking through my plugins to get rid of one of my start up errors and out of pure coincidence I noticed maya has an .obj "plug-in" that needs to be turned on.  So I spent a good 3 weeks fussing around with Maya2015/Rhino5 .obj conversions without realizing I had the fix right under my nose...

The good news is that I learned how to fix these holes and what not to do next time I do this.

Theres not much else to explain for this post.  The massive error screwed up the rest of the semester and I spent all my time trying to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment