Monday, November 28, 2016

Jeremiah Baker: Skateboard Engraving

original design

laser engrave v1 (before gloss finish)

laser engrave timelapse v1

sealed board v1

original design variant

laser engrave v2 (finished)

Concept: I found a non-profit called The Bible Project that creates awesome posters that explain different books of the Bible, and decided to use their artwork for my boards. Also, the skateboard project fit perfectly with this company, as one of the founders is a skater.

Modeling Techniques: I downloaded all of their posters for the old testament (fair use), and cut out all of the titles to create the collage. I used Photoshop to arrange all of the titles, then brought the file into illustrator to prep for the laser cutter. I used image trace to get rid of potential pixelation, placed the image on the raster layer, and created the registration marks required accurately place the design on the board. After engraving, I used two coats of a urethane finish to seal and add a gloss to the board. For my first design, I gripped and added trucks and wheels to the it, making a complete skateboard. For the second design, I did the same as the first on the finish, but expanded on my original idea. I didn't finish the board completely, but I did add custom grip-tape with the company logo cutout on it (also cut with the laser cutter). 

No comments:

Post a Comment