Saturday, December 4, 2021

Sebastian Tatum Lamp Project

Makercase Lamp Project - The Void

For this project I decided to take advantage of the lack of specifics, so I made a hanging wall lamp, plus I don't have any extra table space in my room/fablab anyways. I personally don't like the look of laser cut wood, especially in the use of electronics, it makes them look cheap. With that mentality, I used the laser cut wood as the backbone of a foam sculpted lamp. The last time I ever worked with floral foam was in high school, but back then I did not have the tools I have today.



To create the digital files for my project, I used a lot of scanned drawings and Adobe Illustrator. Working with separate svgs was a very different work flow than I am used to. Usually all of my drawings are made in the same software as my stls. When I needed to create a shape with a lot of weird angles, I would draw the shape on graph paper, scan it, open it in Illustrator, trace it, then finally bring it in to rhino to work with. Of course there are thousands of more efficient ways to do that, but I like being able to use a pencil when I can.




After signing up for the free trial for the 3rd time, I setup the scene in Keyshot. For the materials I went with wood, of course, for the laser cut wood sections. With the raster burns I just used a slightly darker wood. The foam was really easy, the foam gets an interesting texture when painted that is very similar to the fuzz materials in Keyshot. The insert is paper, but when its turned on its a luminescent material.






No comments:

Post a Comment