Monday, October 26, 2020

Afifah Mazhar: Project 2 Laser Cut Lamp


Concept:
The idea behind my lamp was the song "Dynamite" by BTS. A header image used for the song can be seen in the bottom left corner of the image above. In the image we see BTS's logo, when this logo is inverted (as seen in the second row interior design of the model) it becomes the logo of their fan base. These logo's together make up the interior design of this lamp. The exterior (lid) of the lamp is simplistic and was inspired by the line "I'm diamond, you know I glow up" in the song. For this reason I placed a small diamond on all the faces and a big diamond with the quote on the top surface off the lid. Lastly, I changes my next to strokes, making sure it is ready to be cut.


Process: 
I first created my lamp's structure using Boxes.py. I then created a diamond and the text I wanted to use in illustrator and imported them in to Rhino. After that, in Rhino, I created the BTS logo and flipped one of the sides to create the fanbase logo. The biggest challenge I faced during this project was extruding the surfaces. I was able to easily extrude most of the surfaces, however, the interior lamp surface never turned out correctly (it would never fill the whole surface). I had made sure to use CurveBoolean to make sure all my lines were closed correctly however the issue still persisted. In the end, I kept undoing and redoing the extrusion until it worked.

Materials:
When I get this cut, the materials I will use/need are: Loctite super glue, changeable LED Strip Lights, and plywood underlayment. I plan to get these materials from Home Depot and Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment