Saturday, October 24, 2020

Hope Sherman - Box Project

 


Concept -  My concept originally was to make a new dice box for myself, just for fun. However, when the plan changed from box to lamp, I decided to keep most of what I designed and translated it into a Mermaid Themed Lamp versus a Box. I went with the main details being coral cutouts, bubble cutouts, and a mermaid engraving on top. I chose mermaids because...I really like mermaids- enough to have tattoos only of mermaids. 

Process - Overall the process was simple enough. I used the website MakerCase to make the base for a 5mm thick material. I chose 8 sides because I still wanted to keep the dice box idea inside my design for the lamp. I then took the exported file and placed it inside of Adobe Illustrator to add the designs of the mermaid on top as well as the coral and bubble features on the sides. I did mess up the formatting for building the box, but did not realize it until I brought it into Rhino. However, I decided that if I were to actually print the lamp out, I would have wanted to sculpt my own legs anyway. Keeping that in mind, I decided to add my own legs in Rhino after I built the rest of the lamp versus starting over in Illustrator. Just as a reference, I did originally sketch the Mermaid in Paint Tool SAI, then outlined her accordingly in Illustrator. I also used the preset light bulb in the rendered picture seen here ->

Materials - If I were to have this lamp laser printed, I would choose the standard 5 mm thick wood that was recommended to us via elearning. I would then paint the lamp nice sets of matte teals to match the aquatic mermaid theme. The mermaid herself would be engraved, but I would go over the etching with paints to bring her to life. I'm not sure what colors but most likely I would give her dark blues and greens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment