Monday, October 26, 2020

Wesley McKnight: Lamp Project

Concept: For this lamp project, I wanted to create a lamp I could see myself actually using if I decided to print it. I have a similar sun pattern painted in some of my past projects hanging around my room, so I wanted to use it here as well. To add a little more interest, I included a kind of vent-like shade-ability, so the user could adjust how much light they wanted to come through the lamp. I also thought this could be cool because the resulting eclipse of light could simulate a sunset of sorts. 
 



Process: To create this rendering, I first used Makercase to get the initial box with teeth. Then, I imported it into Rhino so that I could add the details I needed. I made sure to include both a top and bottom because I wanted all the light from the lamp exiting through the cutouts. The first adjustment I made were to the legs, so the lamp would be slightly raised off whatever surface it's been placed on. To create the circular base of the sun, I used the arc tool and line tool. For the sun's rays, I used the three-point curve which I copied and pasted along an arc; I then added a bunch of small arcs to close off the curves in towards the center and out towards the radius of the rays. After all my markings had been placed, I made sure they were on the correct layer and colored accordingly. Then I used things like curveBoolean and extrude surface to get the final lamp pieces and arranged them accordingly. 




Materials: I chose a dark brown wood material for this lamp, mostly because it matches my room but also because I thought it would be the most classic choice. I wanted to keep it very natural looking, which complements the whole sun motif and brings about imagery of jungle/beach sunsets. I used a wood thickness of .25 inches in this rendering of the lamp.


No comments:

Post a Comment