Monday, October 26, 2020

Donte Castillo: Week 11 - Laser Cut Lamp



 Concept: I went through many concept ideas such as doing a lamp about the Three Little Pigs, emotional faces, and a lamp based on cutting out repetitive patterns and just backlighting a colorful acrylic or semi-translucent material. I ended up deciding to do a cubical lamp about the sky.






Techniques: My process was largely using the line tools, especially the poly line tool and the curve tool to shape out the cuttings that I wanted. But that came after I adjusted the shape of the box by copy pasting the base of the original box from Box Maker and reconnecting the lines of the base so that it would become a raised lamp. After the cuts were planned, I then extruded the curves so that they formed surfaces that I could render and throw into a photo software. In order to make it easier to display the translucency of the screen behind the cuts, I decided the materials of the lamp in Rhino to be stainless steel and plastic.






Materials: The materials I decided on were stainless steel for the box frame and a thin plastic for the light filter. I was thinking of a night light due to the minimalistic design, but I wanted it to also be appealing and durable during the day. So a metal design would be the most appealing combined with the choice of different removable plastic filters for more aesthetic control.


Revision: I had forgotten to add my name the date to my diagram so I did that.

No comments:

Post a Comment