Sunday, December 6, 2020

Afifah Mazhar: Project 3 FlatFab Model



Concept:

The idea behind my FlatFab model came from some hanging paper balls I had seen while looking for decorations (as seen in the picture above). I really liked the idea of hanging something off the ceiling but wanted something more festive than the generic ball shape. As December has many holidays, I was looking for a something that would suit them all. Also, keeping in mind that it had to be something natural, I decided upon a star shape. However a generic star felt too simple and I felt as if it would not look very interesting if hung up. As such, I started researching different types of stars when I stumbled upon the fact that some stars are cold. This led me to thinking of combining the basic shape of a star with a stylized snowflake. I felt this would further bring the December/Holiday spirit to my model while also making it more interesting.


Technique:

I initially had a hard time determining how I want my model to look. For this reason I spent sometime looking up stylized snowflakes. When I started creating the model in FlatFab, I started with a basic geometric star shape. From there I added diamonds perpendicularly to the face of the star. I repeated this process once more to get both the diamonds on the tips of the star.

After doing this, I felt the model looked very flat. Even though I made it with the plan to be hung, I still wanted it to have more dimension. For this reason I duplicated and rotated the base star shape. Then, I duplicated the diamonds and moved them to the correct locations.

Lastly, I exported my model from FlatFab to Rhino. From Rhino, I rendered the final images and got measurements and cut instructions for the model.


Materials:

When I initially created this model I wanted to use paper as the main material for it. This was because my original inspiration was decorative paper balls (picture can be seen in the concept section). However, while creating the model, I realized that paper would be too flimsy to properly hold the shape I was wanting. For this reason, I think a thicker paper (such as cardstock or watercolor paper) would be better for my design. I think it would be a nice compromise between the original material and a solid structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment