Sunday, December 6, 2020

Rafael Villafane: Project 3 X-Wing_FlatFab

 


CONCEPT

For my flat fab project I decided to go with an idea that has always been close to my heart and that's my love for Star Wars, although I have had countless of different models of the X-Wing Fighter I wanted to make a model that was made by my own hands hence what you see in the picture. I wanted to make a model in which was fairly simple to build build but still be structurally sound since its such a back-heavy piece and that's where the legs on the bottom come into play so it supports the back-end so it wont fall forward as well as having the capability of hanging it on your ceiling on its center of gravity no problems whatsoever. 



TECHNIQUE

For my techniques I wanted to sketch out sort of the layout I wanted to use to model in flatfab which I messed around for a while trying to decipher how to properly use the software but I ended up using Maya to clean up a lot of the different polygons and edges. Luckily I was able to find good references online and even a 3D outline in which I used to make my dimensions a little more straightforward so when I laser cut it eventually it wont have over proportioned dimension. I started from the main structure of the X-Wing it being the main long body that then connect to the wings and the framing of the back which was the most difficult in putting it all together even with a good layout in place, and after that it was just a matter of putting all the little pieces and details together to have one solid piece. I rendered this in a regular shaded and green shaded lambert since you're able to see the shadows and details a lot more clearly than if every piece was colored differently.



MATERIALS

For the materials I wanted to go with the flat green shaded lambert color so the model pops out more in the scene and plus another separate render of a flat grey shaded lambert so I could make a cool future DIY at home project and actually paint this bad boy myself. With the help of Flatfab, Rhino, and some google images HDRi's I found a cool sunset scene out in the plains in which I could see this X-Wing fighter shine in the sky and gave me some dejavu of being a kid and imagining an x-wing dogfighting in the sky






No comments:

Post a Comment