Sunday, December 6, 2020

Kenny Tentri: Project 3 FlatFab Model

Concept: Toucans aren't necessarily my favorite animal, but I definitely find their colors and large beaks an interesting design found in nature. I wanted to create a model with angularity besides strictly right angles, because making curves in this medium is more difficult than boxes, but doing so results in some very cool organic designs. The wings and tail provided the perfect answer to this, because they extend from the main model to add visual complexity, but don't overwhelm me with a form that is too difficult to replicate.

Technique: I had a hard time visualizing what this model would look like, so the first thing I did was look at 3d puzzles to understand how I would design this. The model was made in FlatFab, and I made some rough layouts of what it potentially could look like to get familiar with the program. 


I started by drawing the basic silhouette shape with the pen tool, then built the rest of the layers off of it. I was able to design one piece each for the connection slots, the wings, and the tail. It was easy to then duplicate, resize, and move these pieces around to create a more interesting look to the Toucan. Once one side was done, I had to reflect pieces to the other side so the piece had a thickness and looked more three dimensional. I finally imported the model into Rhino, where I could texture and render it out.

Materials: The final design and interlocking shapes ended up looking like some sort of toy so I decided to render it with a plastic material. I used a vibrant color scheme, applying different colors to different parts of the Toucan, and it reflected the playful aesthetic you associate with children's toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment