Sunday, December 6, 2020

 

Concept: Originally my idea was to do a flower or octopus but it soon quickly changed to a simple fish, largely because I like the idea of the water and an octopus felt like a bit much to attempt in FlatFab. My concept was to aim for simple yet ornate. I wanted to convey the environment of a simple fish requiring the it to be hydrodynamic. So the design was meant to be smooth where water would impact and to show some flare I went for wavy fin designs along the top and back. I kept the fins beneath it as a simple stand to not overdo the design and make it feel more stable. 

Techniques: I started with the body of the fish, making a very rounded triangular shape. I then went on to make a connector and the tail of the fish. I then decided to duplicate the tail and rotate it into the connector that would attach them to the fish's body. Moving on, I then made the stand of the fish. At this point the fish felt nice but still incomplete. So I went on to try and provide a similar design I used for the tail to the dorsal fin. I was limited in how I could connect the fin to the body so I bent the intended expression to reflect more of the flow of the fish through the water rather than layering the shape of the fin beside itself. I finished by adding a hole upon the body to make a simple eye.
Material: I would like the material to either be painted cardboard similar to puzzle pieces or a hard but flexible plastic. Both would keep the item light, provide durability, and keep the fish cheap. It would increase the appeal due to the reduced fear of breaking it, making it an appealing decoration for both. children and office workers who simply wish to spice up their office. The fish is easy on the eyes and comes in a easily customizable form as it could be encouraged to simply buy an uncolored version to apply ones own designs upon it.



No comments:

Post a Comment