Friday, December 4, 2020

Flat Fab Final Model - Hope Sherman

 



Concept

I had no idea what to do. I fiddled with sculptures, animals, vases, etc. I eventually settled upon an idea to attempt to make a mermaid. I decided on a mermaid figurine because I love mermaids. All of my tattoos are of mermaids, my room is decorated to the max with mermaids - how could I not at least try? I originally sketched out what I wanted her to look like, but I ended up not saving the sketch which I am extremely disappointed in myself for doing. At least I remembered to save the actual model, however. I think I would have cried if I didn't save the model considering this gal took 3+ hours to fully model, picture, etc.

Process

As stated previously, I originally sketched an idea of how I wanted her to look in Paint Tool Sai but in having to restart my computer after I finished the model to fix some program errors, I saved the FlatFab file but not the sketch. Here's a taste of what I originally had:

After I finished modeling in Flat Fab, I saved the file as both an SVG and OBJ and moved them over to Rhino. I used Rhino to...Pretty her up a bit. Here's the layout of the individual pieces as well as the dimensions of the mermaid model herself. She also ended up having a sort of visor like Geordi La Forge from Star Trek: The Next Generation because I needed something to hook that hair onto as well as give the poor girl some 'eyes'.


 
* Geordi La Forge for context



Materials

If I were to print her out, I would use cardboard. I would want to keep her at a size relatively around, or bigger than, a standard Barbie or Rainbow High doll, which ranges from 9 - 12 inches. I posed her atop my mermaid tail shelf underneath two of my dolls for the rendering photograph. I would want her to be a nice iridescent gradient of a cool purple to cyan versus a more humanoid color scheme because why not, she looks pretty let's give her some pretty colors that match a mermaid's aesthetic. 







No comments:

Post a Comment