Monday, May 1, 2017

David Rake: Week 10 - Serial Slice

Concept:
For years I've been making helmets. I've wanted to make Thomas' helmet from Daft Punk but never got around to it or had all the skills I needed for it. Over Spring Break I had plans to finally start it and had a plan for how I would go about it. As this project came up I thought it'd be interesting to try this new method (to me) to create the base for the master mold.



Technique:
I created a Sphere as the base and drew out curves to block off the major parts. After blocking off the main extensions of the mask I created the slopes by extruding curves and using booleans to sculpt almost. I got the model as close to picture references as I could then inserted the two cores, one in the front where the absolute bottom is and one at the top of the helmet. The helmet was then sliced into 43 individual pieces.



Materials:
The original helmet is chrome and eventually I would like to get it to that point, The Serial Slice will be Cardboard. The mold will be silicon. Then the cast will be resin or fiberglass depending if I chrome it myself or not.


Final:
I changed the axis the cuts were on from my original choice of front to back and instead chose top to bottom as it contained more details that I wanted.



No comments:

Post a Comment