Monday, May 1, 2017

David Rake: Week 13 - Pepekura

Concept:
About 4 years ago a game by the name of Battleblock Theater came out and the character I played as I really loved. The character has since been used as my avatar on social platforms. In senior year of high school I made a 3d model of this originally 2d character. I 3d Printed the character as well. This character has no official name but has gone been titled the abomination by my close friends at the time but I prefer the friendlier name of Catty. 


Technique:
Although I still had the model I created back in high school, it was not a good model as I knew very little about modeling. Pepekura violently rejected the model and I slowly remodeled every piece trying to salvage the original model but alas that didn't prevail.


After fighting Pepekura and getting everything laid out and cut I started with the legs. I build each leg separately. I then built the arms and connected the legs to the torso. Then I connected the arms. Overnight I filled the legs with expanding foam to give them some weight and make him more rigid. I taped every seam on the body because as a cartoon character all his edges are black and I wanted to closely replicate that. After the body was complete I assembled the eyes, ears, mouth, and head separately. I fastened the head on the body and added the facial features afterwards.

In the future I plan to build a stand for him as he cannot stand on his own most of the time (this was planned). I did not want to cut off his feet in order to add standing capability. I also do not know at this point what I want to do for whiskers or if I want to add them at all.


Material:
I used plain 1ply cardboard and black electrical tape. If I were to redo him I would coat all the white cardboard in Aluminum tape because I think it'd be interesting as I've never thought of this character making it to the real world on this scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment