Monday, May 1, 2017

Rebecca Genung: Week 13 Pepakura


Related image

For my Pepakura, I wanted to make a Xenosmilus as they are, in my mind, the embodiment of primal power. Xenosmilus is a species of saber-toothed cat (Smilodons are the well known species from movies and such) that had so much strength and such ferocious teeth that literally one bite was all they needed to kill their prey. Unlike any other land species, Xenosmilus would take a single bite and follow their prey until they died of blood loss. Ironically, this is what led to their extinction, as following prey took up precious time and energy. They were out-competed by other saber-toothed cats; who, in turn, were out-competed by "normal-toothed" cats. I am always a fan of "double-edged" forms and the unfortunate story of Xenosmilus has always stayed with me because of that.


For technique, I modeled it in ZBrush. I then sent it to Maya where I manually simplified it by deleting edges. This is because the auto simplify tools of both programs were simplifying the complicated parts, such as the head, into non-shapes while leaving the simple areas, such as the back and neck, more complicated than necessary. Once satisfied, I sent it Pepakura.

For material, I used yellow zinc in KeyShot as I prefer that particular texture over the gold options. I used the non-simplified model for the KeyShot pictures and the Pepakura file is much more simple in comparison. I couldn't afford any good material from the school, so I used hardened paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment