Monday, May 1, 2017

David Rake: Week 11 - Laser Engraving

Concept:
I made a replica Thomas helmet from the band Daft Punk for the Serial Slicing Assignment. I thought the helmet would look decent if it was repeated a couple of times in a horizonal direction. Almost like the neon 16 bit art.

Technique:
I used the make2d command to pull a perspective view of the head to get the majority of its aspects. After I replicated it 3 times and combined the outer curves. Originally I just engraved the helmet lines and it turned out alright but seemed too simple. After I took the three helmets and applied a different density hatch to each.


Materials:
From the start I planned on using Acrylic. The original helmet is chrome and reflective. The helmet stands out but in a different way than paint. Acrylic is one of the closer replacements because its clear unlike most other engravings on wood or such.

No comments:

Post a Comment