Monday, May 1, 2017

David Rake Week 12: Waffle Lava Lamp


Concept:
Growing up I always had lava lamps in my room, 4 or 5 at any given time. Now when I hear lamp that is almost always what my mind thinks of. If not its that one lamp that loomed over my father's reading chair. Regardless I thought a typical lava lamp would look cool.


Techniques:
I started by drawing the outer edges with the curve tool. I created 7 vertical columns using polar array and 4 horizontal planes. I extruded and capped the curves. I then used boolean tools to create the indents. I do not have the hole cut out for the actual light yet. I inverted the lava lamp design because the top of lava lamps are typically pointed or at least tapered. To create the aperture for the actual light would leave steep columns which didn't look particularly good.


Materials:
With Keyshot I chose a shiny blue plastic that looks close to my favorite lava lamp from my childhood. Upon building it I used cardboard and it was stronger than I originally thought it would be. For the light I used a small 7W Led bulb.


No comments:

Post a Comment