Monday, September 18, 2017

Elizabeth Garvey: Castle Fall 2017

Concept
I was inspired by the turrets and many roofs of the Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria Germany. I initially wanted to make a castle, which  mimicked similar elements of the actual castle it was made of. I ended up not doing this however and instead chose to experiment with the texture materials





Techniques
I initially constructed the model in Rhino, using basic shapes that would resemble a castle. at this point I was not entirely sure how I wanted the materials to look. After finishing the model I

imported it into Keyshot and started playing around with the textures. This was actually a lot of fun for me, and I went through many iterations of the model.





Materials
Initially the real castle Neuschwanstein itself was built using brick and light colored limestone, and iron as it was built to the finest specifications of its day. The materials I used in keyshot when I  rendered the model were a rough grey metal, hexagon slate for the orbs, and a wavy glass which looked like wateri initially wanted the orbs on the top of the castle to have light pass through them and initially I put a texture that made it look a little more opaque, but in the end I went with the solid hexagonal mesh for contrast, because it is just so different from the metal in the rest of the castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment