Sunday, September 17, 2017

Taylor Volquardsen: Week 1 Castle




Concept: I like the aesthetic of sleek, futuristic-looking houses with lots of white and marble and ceramic interspersed with gardens, so I wanted my castle to reflect that. When I started thinking of ideas for what I wanted to do, I remembered the movie Oblivion with Tom Cruise and immediately knew I wanted to make my castle float like the house in the movie. In the end, I kind of combined ideas: the floating home from Oblivion, the rounded, swooping shapes of the Space Needle, and based the garden around these images I found on the internet.

Ghosted Image

Ghosted Image with Command Line

Ghosted Image with Layer Assignment

Modeling: I’ve taken some modeling classes, so I decided to use Maya to make my castle model and import it to Rhino. I admit it was a bit of a challenge remembering to keep it simple and keep in mind that I would have to start modeling for 3D printing which couldn’t get all of the small details unless I made it bigger, which would be expensive. That was probably the biggest challenge changing my mindset away from what I learned as a modeling student. I decided to try sticking to primitive shapes and worked from there, keeping it simple cylinders and tweaking them to get the basic idea of what I want. 


Rendered Castle - Bird's Eye View

Rendered Castle - Pedestrian View

Materials: Like I mentioned above, I like the aesthetic of futuristic looking buildings, so lots of marble and glass and white ceramic with wood and plant accents. I wanted the main base to be a shiny white surface, with parts of the buildings made of wood to add a bit of a pop of color, with a lush but controlled garden to, again, add color with the fountains made out of maybe marble or some kind of natural stone. I couldn't get it exactly how I wanted, like I would've put bark on the tree trunks and tried to imitate some kind of leaf texture on the trees, but the idea is there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment