Sunday, September 17, 2017

Michael Zink: Castle Fall 2017

Concept



     My concept for my castle was to create a floating temple in the desert. I wanted to maintain some parts of a castle in the design through adding walls and towers to the temple. The design for the temple itself was based on what I thought the Greek oracle buildings would have looked like in their time.

Techniques

   

      I created the base for the castle and the tops of all of the buildings from paraboloids, the walls from tubes, and the temple and towers from cylinders. I made the stairs out of cubes that were copied and pasted, and used the split and cap tools to create a hole in the inner wall for the stairs to go through. I used the polar array tool to surround the base of the temple in the decorative struts.

Materials


     I used granite materials for the ground and walls, and recolored them brown and orange, to look like dirt and sandstone respectively. I wanted the walls and towers to look like sandstone to continue the theme of the temple being in a desert. The windows in the towers were given a dark glass texture. The towers and stairs were given a beige plastic to continue the look of sandstone without the veins that the granite had. The temple and the ground around it were given a white marble texture to make it look more like an oracle's temple. And the tops of all of the buildings were covered in gold to make them seem more regal.

No comments:

Post a Comment