Sunday, November 19, 2017

Hannah Barnes: Week 11 - Laser Engraving

Concept:



For my deck, I used a series of designs that I've been iterating over for the past year. The theme is a mixture of technology and steampunk, involving symbols such as gears, the power button, and circuit boards. The top picture depicts one of the triangles (made of cardboard) that I created in the first iteration of the design. The bottom picture shows my second iteration of the design, where I used a CNC machine to cut out designs in wooden triangles. For the skateboard deck, I decided to recreate the designs in square shapes to better fit the board.

Techniques:


I created this design using Adobe Illustrator. I used mainly basic shapes like rectangles and circles and then used the Shape Builder tool to combine the shapes into a single vector shape. After I created the base design, I decided to created a lined background to add depth to the design. I then added the proper colors: a yellow deep cut for the base design and a green medium cut for the lined background. Lastly, I properly formatted the file for laser engraving and sent it off to the machine shop to be engraved.

Material:


I used the recommended skateboard deck for this project, which is a 7.5" Moose Canadian Maple Deck. I liked the default color of the board, so I just applied a clear coat of acrylic spraypaint to finish the deck after engraving it.


No comments:

Post a Comment