Monday, November 20, 2017

Scott Choi: Week 11 - Laser Engraving

Concept:



For my board, I chose to engrave an image of my favorite athlete, Dirk Nowitzki. As a huge Dallas Mavericks fan, this concept seemed like a cool use of the skate deck. I ended up selecting this photo for the design, because it is his signature move, the one leg fade-away.


Technique:



I thought that using the image itself rather than creating my own lines from it would help achieve the most accurate design, so that's what I opted to do. I sent the picture to Adobe Illustrator and edited the scale and color. After that, I turned my image into a vector using the image trace and expand command with the black and white logo option. I selected the black vector layer and applied a stroke. I placed the results onto the skate deck template, and sent the file to Rhino. In Rhino, I colored the general outline curves green for a medium cut, and all the inside curves red for a shallow cut. The file was sent to the machine shop for engraving afterwards. 


Materials: 

I used a standard 7.5 inch wooden skate deck. For coloring, I decided that due to the way the design came out, the board would look the cleanest if I didn't add in a bunch of colors or paint. Instead, I decided to darken the engraved lines with a sharpie marker to give them more depth. I also drew on some arbitrary elements like the 41 degree fall angle (jersey number) to enhance the design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment