Sunday, November 19, 2017

Taylor Volquardsen : Week 11 : Laser Engraving



Tiny Plants

Background Influence

Concept:
My design was heavily influenced by the video in the link above. The video combined with lots and lots of plants pretty much sums up my aesthetic, so I wanted that to come through in my engraving. Just the skull with the plants on the board felt empty though, so I added a graphic art background to help fill in the space behind them.

Design in Adobe Illustrator

After Engraving

Techniques:
I wanted a slightly jagged feel, so I hand traced all of my pieces in my design using a heavy stroke with the pen tool in Adobe Illustrator. It's composed entirely of straight lines, even when it looks curved. When I got it back from the machine shop on campus, I used a medium-sized brush to fill in the large engraved parts of the board with wood stain, then used a much smaller detail brush and a towel to fill in the smaller lines of the design. I used the towel to brush away any stain that got outside of the grooves and clean the board. After the stain dried, I added a coat of clear gloss polyurethane to seal everything.

Stained Engraving

Materials:
8.5 in Moose blank skateboard deck
Varathane Kona wood stain
Minwax clear gloss polyurethane

No comments:

Post a Comment