Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Anyssa Akridge : week 11 Laser engraving 2017

Concept :
For my skateboard I was inspired by the art of Rockin Jellybean. He's a graphic designer for movie and band posters as well as merchandise like t-shirts and even skateboards. He is one of my favorite artists of all time and his sexual punk rock imagery/ 60's exploitation film imagery has always been an inspiration to me. A lot of his art is graphic and colorful as well as busy. He's a master of typography and dynamic compositions. I took inspiration from his demon girl motifs. I also took inspiration from his comic book art line style in the second image. I thought his fringe art style would fit the feel of a skateboard very well.

Techniques

I drew my image in procreate on my ipad due to the line-art textures they had that resembled old school cartoon ink. Then I transferred it over to Photoshop to change the imagery to gray scale and edit my image. Next I transferred the Photoshop file to adobe illustrator to change it into a vector using the Live trace and expand commands. I separated the white from the black vectors, and deleted the white tones. Then I transferred my image into Rhino. I colored my vector lines red to create a crisper shallow cut edge, I used the hatch command and set the hatch to black for a deep engrave, imported an image of my skateboard deck and used the place point tool as well as the create line tool trace said deck in rhino. After that I scaled both images(The art work and deck tracing) down to 29 inches by 7.5 inches (The dimensions of my deck). I colored the lines of the deck cyan, placed it on a 48x24 cyan square as well as putting my name information in cyan.
Materials
Urethane varnish.





No comments:

Post a Comment