Sunday, November 19, 2017

Michael Zink: Week 11 - Laser Engraving

Concept:


     I have always enjoyed the aesthetic of a lighthouse sitting alone in the open ocean, sitting on a rock that barely has the size to support it so I decided to engrave it onto my skateboard.

Techniques:


     I first created the picture in Photoshop, then imported the file into Illustrator to change it into black and white for a raster engrave and to scale down the image to fit on the skateboard. Once that was finished, I brought the file into Rhino and used the hatch command to create the lines in the image. Unfortunately, when I received the skateboard back from the machine shop the engraving was very light and did not show up well in anything besides direct light, so I decided to paint over most of the lines to create a more realistic style instead.

Materials:


7.5 inch blank skateboard deck
Acrylic paints
Gloss varnish

No comments:

Post a Comment