Sunday, February 3, 2019

Andrew Rowan: Week 1 Castle

Establishing Shot

Concept: My castle's design is based loosely on a Tesla coil. Tesla coils are mainly thought of as scientific but I think they are also fascinating as sculptural objects. I tried to separate out some of the main elements that defined a Tesla coil and apply them along with my own style. There are many circular shapes in my design that are meant to mimic the inspiration.

Ghosted

Techniques: The main technique I used in this project was ArrayPolar. I essentially built a single side and used the polar array function to make the four supports and the eight pyramids. I also used it on two different planes for the cage of the lowest sphere. I also used curves to make the tubes as I was comfortable with this from previous engineering graphics experience. I could have used the taurus command in some places but went with what I knew. I also used a boolean union on the cage so it would remain one object, which made work much easier.

Layered

Materials: One of the main goals I had was to make my castle appear more sculptural than scientific. After doing the initial design I could tell one of my main ways of continuing to push into sculpture territory was though materials. The spheres, rectangles, and lower support arms are brushed aluminum, which is shiny enough to get attention but not overly bright. I used polished black marble for the base and main supports. This black grounds the piece, while the stone makes it feel more substantial. Finally, I used polished brass to highlight some of the main features.

Pedestrian


No comments:

Post a Comment