Sunday, February 3, 2019

Charlene van Zyl: Week 1 Castle


Ghosted


Concept:

I wanted to base my project off of a traditional castle, adding elements of a medieval fort. I went to Google Images for some ideas and liked the castles that had towers. Forts are typically fairly simple in design, but I also wanted to try to add some point of interest.
Layered

Techniques:

I started off by making a rectangular prism for the base of my castle, then made the doorway and interior with a Boolean difference. I went on to use cylinders and truncated cones for the towers, using another Boolean difference to make the top of the turret hollow. I copy and pasted this tower onto each of the castle's corners. I then went on to create the central tower, using the same techniques as I did for the first tower. To made the tower hollow, I used a Boolean difference in the center and through the wall for the two windows, which I used ellipsoids for. I added a tall, narrow cylinder to the top of the tower and added a triangular surface to it to create a flagpole. Finally, I surrounded the castle in rectangular prism walls, using a Boolean difference to subtract from the wall and create an overhang.

Detailed Shot / Pedestrian View

Materials:

I initially planned on having my castle be made of stone bricks, but when I wasn't satisfied with the look of that in Keyshot, I decided to go for a glassier look. I used a blue gemstone texture for the base of the castle, and diamond for the turrets. I wanted some solid color in the castle as well and decided on using polished copper for the outer wall and flagpole. For the flag itself I used blue velvet, the floor was made of textured aluminum, and the windows used frosted glass. I only had access to the trial version of Keyshot on my personal computer, thus the watermarks on the final renderings.

Establishing Shot

No comments:

Post a Comment