Sunday, February 3, 2019

Ryland Smith: Week 1 Castle

Concept: I was curious what can be a castle and I began to ponder on when I loved knights and castles and the nostalgia brought me to childhood. I did, and still do love boats, so I thought a toy castle boat might be my avenue. If a castle means we are fortified in our space to command our garrison, is not a boat a castle? This was my space as I forged my Castle Boat.

Ghosted
Layered
Techniques: I began with the hull and to accomplish this I created a curve and then mirrored it. following I would copy the curves away and then make a surface. Afterward, I proceed to copy that surface 3 more times. creating an end piece from the curves and an extra horizontal line I would cap it at the back. I created a triangle and line up the curves once again creating a surface from the curves. Then I proceed to join the hull. Next, I used torus and rectangular prism solids to form the engine. To create the rutter I used curves and then extruded these curves. The ladder is a boolean joined set of cylinders. The captain deck command center used boolean difference to create the solid. The baluster is created by drawing curves and then rotating it to create a solid, then boolean join a cylinder on top.

Establishing

Pedestrian View
Materials: I used plastic for the hull and engine. Its a toy boat and so decided plastic would make the most sense. The engine is red as the color pops and implies power. Then I used brass on the balusters to add luster to the boat. Then the captain's loft uses anodized aluminum to have more shine. The floor and ceiling use plastic as well but textured adding a bit more variety to add interest. Altogether I chose materials so it feels like a radical cyberpunk toy boat.     
  

No comments:

Post a Comment