Sunday, October 9, 2016

Melanie Estes: Week 8 3D Print

Ghosted Painted Black
Ghosted with Keyshot Layer Assignments
Keyshot Overview

Keyshot Back

Keyshot Looking Up

       History Channel's Vikings is my favorite show, and while I have all for the pop funk figures available, other merchandise is hard to come by . One of the most memorable images I have found online is one of their ships at sea in an amazing mountainous area. In the show, their entire culture focuses on being able to sail to other lands for the summer raids. I wanted to recreate this concept in a more concise way. By using a shadow box form, I was also able to add the recognizable V logo.
       I used multiple techniques to create both the geometric shapes of the boat and the organic shapes of the mountain and water. Referencing an image from this website, I extended and curved a cube to create the planks that serve as the sides of the ship. After making one side, I used the mirror tool often to keep the ship symmetrical. I made a shield base out of simple cylinders and pipes and used metal piping and color to make each unique. The curl on the ship was made by extruding a pipe along a spiral curve. To make the red sail look more organic, I drew several curves in various shapes. I extruded them all the same length. and then joined them. I pinched in a few spots and changed the size on the ends. I used an extruded curve to make the T shaped structure the sail rod rests on. The ropes details are deformed toruses. To create the more organic shapes of the mountain, rock, and water, I used Houdini. This software has an easy and effective feature to create random deformations, ironically having the word mountain in its name. After exporting the item as an obj, I scaled and fit the pieces to fit inside the frame. The odd angles and lines in these shapes are intended to help imitate waves and rocks. The work Vikings and the ionic V were traced from an image found here. I traced the letters with curves, filled in the curves to form a surface, and extruded the surface to the desired height. The frame itself started as a cube. The curved indention came from cylinders I sized and moved to each edge, and used boolean difference. I also used boolean difference to cut out the middle of the frame where the other material sits. To make the indention on each edge of the frame, I used the same method as for the letters; I traced this image and turned it into an extruded surface, and then subtracted that surface from the sides of the frame. The axes in the back were first made as a separate piece. I used extruded curves, toruses, and cylinders to create one ax. I duplicated and rotated to make the X shape. I then subtracted out the space on the back of the frame, and moved the axes into position. I was then able to have the axes and the frame become one piece. Through the entire process, the use of multiple viewpoints and both wire frame and rendered mode were necessary to ensure that all of the pieces fit inside the frame.
       I chose a medium wood color and texture to imitate a regular frame. The mountain incudes a stone texture with a XXX material. The water is colored with a clear material that has an almost plastic quality. The shields have a wood texture with different diffuse colors to look painted. The metal on the shield is from XXX. The dents and blood stains are appropriate for the context. The sail is a woven material colored red, as is the sail in the concept inspiring image. The V logo shows the letters made of a worn metal. I used a scratched silver colored material to imitate the original. The blood on the V is red, naturally.

Straight out of the bath

Top thin layers gone, beginning of thick plane

Without extra material, but with details lost

     Unfortunately, I have had some difficulties with the 3D Print. Professor Scott as well as Amanda and Ronald from the ATEC Fab Lab have been tremendously and wonderfully helpful and supportive in trying to fix this problem. As shown in the images above, there is a ghost surface that is being printed over the main area of the project at least 1/4 inch thick. Though I have managed to break away these layers of plastic and support material, the mast and sail detail of the ship is entirely lost. But the piece of the ship that broke off was easily glued back in place. 
                                 
Painted front

Painted back
Painted up
     But on the third attempt, the file printed successfully!
     I sealed the model with a few layers of matte mod podge and painted with acrylics. I used the keyshot renders as an example. I started by painting everything in dark colors. I used black for the mountain, a dark blue for the water, and a darker brown for the ship. After everything was sufficiently covered, I added on more color by increasing the lightness. The water area has many layers of blue all the way up to white. I sponged on some light gray on the mountain, and then a bit more black. The ship was painted with small brushes and many colors. After the inside part of the frame has been painted brown like wood, I lightly put some silver to imitate the metal in the renders. The rest of the frame has many different blended browns. The ropes were gotten by pulling apart the strands of yarn. I painted glue to the ends and used tweezers to move them into place. 
    Despite having some trouble, I am happy with what my idea became.



No comments:

Post a Comment