Monday, October 10, 2016

Niveda Subramanian: Week 8 3D Printing Assignment


Ghosted Black Image


Painted Model On Paper

Keyshot Zoomed In
Keyshot Top View
Keyshot Vase View
Keyshot Wineglass View

XTC Coated Vases
Top View
Acrylic Painted Vases


       When first given this assignment by Professor Scott I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to create, but as I kept thinking I decided that I wanted to create something that was more than just a 3D printed object. At first I wanted to create a vase because I love decorative pieces, and I thought perhaps I could put some flowers in it and set in on my table. Then I got the idea of depicting a scenery on the vase itself to distinguish my vase from other typical flower holding vases. I depicted two scenes on my vases: A midwinter snowy night and An autumn sunset. 
        I decided to keep my rhino model simple because I knew that I wanted to make my end product intricate using acrylics. For my keyshot model I painted my winter design on a sheet of paper and then uploaded that picture onto my keyshot model. I had trouble figuring out how to upload this texture, but Professor Scott taught me how to. I really enjoyed making the keyshot renderings and took screenshots of 4 different perspectives to upload. I created two surfaces and then combined them to increase the thickness of my vase in my rhino model. I increased the transparency and roughness of my model to give it a more realistic appeal. The reason I took a screenshot of the upside down view of my model is to expose the fact the my object can be looked at multiple ways. I chose not to add a base to my vase, because I wanted the designs on the interior of the vase to also be clearly seen. 
       After my model was printed, I coated it with two layers of XTC to give it a smooth finish. Then, I used acrylic paints to depict to contrasting scenes. The reason I printed two vases was so that I could present two different seasons. I had slight trouble painting the interiors of the vases, and making sure the designs were clearly seen. When the vases are turned upside down they become a completely new object, which is what I was going for. My 3D printed object then looks more like the top half of a wine glass. This object that started off as a flower vase turned into a dual purpose artwork. I also plan to 3D print two more vases to showcase the other two seasons. 
Rotated Perspective

Wineglass Perspective

No comments:

Post a Comment