Sunday, October 9, 2016

Draven Ashorn-Hejl: Week 8 - 3D Print





Concept: My favorite game is Final Fantasy XIV, and in it your character wears a lot of accessories, including a pair of rings. One of the armor sets in the game is the Halone's Champion set, an angelic set of armor with a focus on wing imagery. Unlike many sets of armor in the game however, the Halone's Champion set does not have an accompanying accessory set, so I decided to make my own idea of what the rings of the set would look like.






Process: For the model of the ring, I kept things simple, as in Final Fantasy XIV their ring designs are all simple bands focused on highlighting one feature. In this ring's case, the focus was on the wings at the top, which I made by manipulating a sphere with Gumball until it was flattened, then cut a notch into it using BooleanDifference to add detail and some dimension. I then grouped multiple "feathers" together into a wing, then mirrored the first group to the other side of the ring to make the matching wing. To keep the wings solidly attached to the core band, I used simple cubes the length of the band to fill in the small gaps between the feathers. For some extra detail and flair, I added a 7-sided pyramid to the top as a small decorative gem, and cut small gaps into the core band of the ring so that it wasn't plain and flat all around. After the model was printed, I hand brushed on 2 coats of XTC-3D and then hand painted it with acrylic paint to finish it.




Materials: In Keyshot, I used Brushed Metal in gray and yellow for the core ring band and the wings respectively, but tweaked them to be more silver and gold. For the gemstone I used Blue Gem Stone, tweaked to be less transparent and rougher, with a deeper blue hue. For the physical ring, it was printed with basic 3D printer plastic, and I hand painted the ring with acrylic paints.





No comments:

Post a Comment