Saturday, October 8, 2016

Brandon Wehenkel: 3d Printing Assignment



Black & White Ghosted


Colored Ghosted


Concept:
I served onboard the USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55) from 2010-2012.  When thinking of things to create in 3D I figured a replica of something I once worked, served, and lived on would have been cool to recreate. So my inspiration came from my familiarity with the ship.  I really enjoy boats and sea life so creating this complicated structure was a reminiscence of my past.  I didn't know how to start so I looked up videos on youtube and a boat builder for Rhino was very helpful.


Overview


Front


Modeling Techniques:
First I followed the tutorials I found on Mr. Peterson's youtube page.  Then I used Points On and molded the linear lines I created to make a skeleton ship hull.  I used roughly 3 different shaped curves to create the bulbous bow on the front of the ship.  Then about 7 more curves using the same technique to create the rest of the ship.  The bulbous part was the hardest because when I mirrored over the geometry with loft I found some clipping.  I spent about 3 hours just messing around with the points on the curves to create the right shape.  After I was able to successfully mirror over the hull with as minimal bending between the connecting points I used cap planar holes.  The backside of the ship (aft face) did not close with planar holes so I had to use blend surface and it worked eventually.  Throughout the entirety of the ship, I had done multiple cap planar holes and blend surface to close the shapes.  Most of the shapes are just boxes that were cut with a polyline projection and then used the trim and cap planar hole technique.  I did the same technique with the hallways in the forward, midship, and hangar section to create the "simulated" rooms where the doors are open on the main deck.  Everything else is just mainly shapes, which I  extruded or intersected into other surfaces so they would print right.  I used polyline/arc to create the curves in the guardrail on the forecastle (front section of the ship) and blend surface to close the shape.  That was a little bit of a challenge since some of the curves didn't want to close once I projected a shape to cut and trim. I missed a lot of details (ex, anchor, propellers, guardrails that aren't walls but actually rails) that I was hoping to add to the various levels of the ship but after a while, I realized the parts were going to be too small so I stuck with what I had.  When I feel like revisiting this model I'll edit the parts I don't like, and add the details I do want to make something that I feel is a completed piece.


The hardest parts were the curves in the hull and the gun mounts.  Those took the longest to manipulate to create a comprehensive surface.


Forecastle POV


Aft Missile Deck POV


Materials:
I used swirled aluminum and then changed the color.  Because these ships are just aluminium with deck grey paint on top.  The smoke stacks are rubber material because those are usually very hot areas where the paint melts off and all that is left is a dark burnt color.  It's dangerous to be around those because shards of metal can fly out of them at random times.  The radars and satellite dishes are plastic and I changed those colors to be a little lighter than the paint of the ship because they are irradiated a lot of the times from radio signals and their paint is usually fried as well.  The only difference is they aren't exposed to high amounts of heat.


Before Chemical Wash


 Size comparison with minor broken parts (not pictured)


First I looked up if just putting spray paint on a ABS plastic model would be fine without first fixing it with a sealant.  I came to the conclusion that spray paint doesn't eat the material so I risked it.
On the actual model, I started with a silver spray paint to make a shine. Then I went over it with a dull hammered grey spray paint to give it less of a brand new look. I did some minor touches with a brush. Then I painted the underside where the ship usually sits in the water with a textured red-brown spray paint to simulate rust.


Painting Rust


Painting Grey


I carefully painted a black line that separated the grey from the rust.  I continued to do some minor detailing with black painting the deck black and some of the weapon barrel tips as well as the smoke stacks.  Then to finish the model completely, I added the white CG55 on the front bow with its signature alphanumeric nomenclature.


Finished Product

No comments:

Post a Comment