Sunday, October 9, 2016

Timothy Smiley 3d printing assignment




modeling techniques
I used maya once again for modeling. I made all the gears separately and had the difficult challenge of designing a way to make them move . it took a while to figure out but I came out with a pretty solid model.


materials
I wanted this to have an old steampunk kind of look to it so i wanted some kind of brass with some dirt and oil build up. I started painting the print with some filler that helped take away a lot of the print lines but not all. on top of that out a flat black layer of spray paint and then dabbed little splashes of gold on top. I love this method of painting because it gives a realistic look like its been there for a while. adding paint to the surfaces that stick out makes it look like its been rubbed in those areas and the dark parts haven't been touched. I love giving a piece a story and a history.





No comments:

Post a Comment