Monday, October 10, 2016

Michael Hosler Week 8, 3D Printing

Concept/Methods/Materials:
     For this project, after being introduced to TopMod by professor Scott, I wanted to have a bit of fun, get familiar with the program, and sort of just see what came out. After seeing a few of the simpler things one can do in the program, I started with a soccer ball shaped polyhedron and extruded the pentagonal faces, leaving a small face on each extrusion. Then I connected those faces with interpolated handles and smoothed them with Doo Sabin re-meshing until TopMod could no longer handle the model. After hitting some snags with a few of the handles being twisted and tortured beyond all help, I used a combination of blender and rhino to simply cut them off and cap the holes which broke up the monotony of handles a bit. after finishing the modelling, I found myself thinking of this as some sort of custom glass installation so in KeyShot, despite some limitations, I was able to find a combination of materials, colors and texture that I was satisfied with. I went with a sapphire refractive glass and a rusty paint texture skin.
     As for the printed model, once it was finished I coated it with 2 or 3 layers of XTC to fill the lines from the printing process, followed by 2 or 3 coats of spray paint in various colors. Once that dried, I used a brush to spatter it with some darker, more primary-ish colors to add contrast and something of a variety. finally, I gave it one more coat or two of a glossy acrylic sealant.

Photos:


 
 


































No comments:

Post a Comment